1 pork loin, centre roast, boneless, about 4 lb / 2 kg
1 tsp / 5 mL salt
½ tsp / 2 mL garlic powder
¼ tsp / 1 mL ground black pepper
2 cups / 500 mL long grain rice, cooked according to package directions
1 ½ cups / 375 mL dried mixed fruit
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup / 175 mL finely chopped celery
½ cup / 125 mL chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp / 10 mL EACH chopped fresh sage and thyme
¼ cup / 50 mL slivered almonds
½ cup / 125 mL vegetable broth
5-7 slices bacon, partially cooked
- With sharp knife, slice roast down center lengthwise to within ½-inch of bottom. Open roast to lie flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down center to within ½-inch of bottom.
- In small bowl, combine garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle roast evenly with mixture.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rice, dried fruit, onion, garlic, celery, parsley, sage, thyme, almonds and broth. Mix well.
- Divide half the stuffing among the three slits. Roll up roast from long side. Tie with butcher string at 2-inch intervals.
- Place remaining stuffing in greased shallow baking dish*. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until instant-read thermometer registers 155˚F, about 2 hours.
- Remove roast from oven. Carefully remove butcher string.
- Place bacon strips over top of roast tucking ends underneath. Roast 30-45 minutes more or until instant-read thermometer registers 155°F. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
* To heat reserved stuffing: Cover. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.