1 lb / 0.5 kg pork loin centre chops, boneless, well-trimmed
½ cup / 125 mL all-purpose flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp / 30 mL water
1 cup / 250 mL Italian breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp / 15 mL butter
Canola oil for frying
1 cup / 250 mL prepared pasta sauce, warmed
½ cup / 125 mL shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup / 125 mL grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
Hot cooked pasta or gnocchi for serving
- Place chops between sheets of waxed or parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, rolling pin or heavy pan, pound chops until ¼-inch thick.
- Set up 3 plates side by side. Place flour on first plate. On second plate, whisk together egg and water. Place breadcrumbs on third plate.
- Dust chops with flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Transfer chops to a rack; allow crumbs to dry, about 15 minutes.
- In large, nonstick fry pan, heat butter and a small amount of oil over medium-high heat.
- Pan-fry chops until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove chops from pan onto a clean plate. Carefully wipe pan with a wad of paper towels. Reduce heat to low and return pan to element.
- Return chops to pan, gently pour warmed pasta sauce over chops.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese. Cover and heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is hot.
- Garnish chops with parsley. Serve with pasta or gnocchi.