6 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
¾ cup / 175 mL milk
2 Tbsp / 30 mL margarine
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
¼ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
2 pinches ground nutmeg
1 lb / 500 g farmer sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
¼ cup / 50 mL EACH shredded mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese
⅓ cup / 80 mL chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp / 15 mL fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350ﹾF.
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Drain well in a colander.
- Add milk and margarine to pot and mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Add green onion, garlic, egg yolks, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Gently stir in sausage, cheeses and parsley.
- Spoon mixture into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 3-5 minutes before serving.