1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp / 5 mL ground black pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL orange zest
1 tsp / 5 mL lemon zest
2 tsp / 10 mL EACH paprika and coriander seeds
1 tsp / 5 mL fennel seeds
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH salt and granulated sugar
¼-½ tsp / 1-2 mL red pepper flakes
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH ground oregano and ground thyme
¼ cup / 50 mL cold water
Canola oil, for frying
- In large bowl, gently combine all ingredients except water.
- Add water. Mix with hands to combine; do not overmix. Mixture will become sticky. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to let flavours develop.
- Using a 2-inch food scoop, form mixture into balls. With palm of hand, press balls into ½-inch thick patties.
- In large skillet, heat a small amount of oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry patties until cooked through, about 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Add oil as required.
- Remove patties to plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.