1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, well-trimmed, 3-4 lb / 1.5-2 kg
2 Tbsp / 30 mL EACH coarse salt and paprika
1 Tbsp / 15 mL packed brown sugar
2 tsp / 10 mL EACH garlic powder and dry mustard
1/2 tsp / 2 mL chipotle chili pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
¼-½ cup / 50-125 mL EACH apple juice and water
- In small bowl, combine seasonings and spices.
- Generously rub spice blend all over pork roast. Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown roast on all sides. Transfer pork to roasting pan.
- Add apple juice and water to roasting pan.
- Cover and bake for 3-3 ½ hours, or until roast is falling apart.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Reserve cooking liquid. Let cool slightly for easier handling, about 10 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred meat, discarding any fat. Transfer to serving dish and moisten with some of the cooking liquid.
- To assemble, in heatproof glass, layer prepared baked beans, mashed potatoes, pork and coleslaw. Garnish with pickle spear.