2 cups / 500 mL small pasta shapes
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH dried basil leaves, dried oregano leaves and dried rosemary leaves
1-28 oz / 796 mL can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups / 500 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
1-19 oz / 540 mL can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Pinch red pepper flakes
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 Tbsp / 30 mL freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm; drain. Set aside.
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork until no pink remains, breaking up large pieces with spatula, about15 minutes. Drain any fat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; stir to combine. Cook until carrots are tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, rosemary, tomatoes and broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add kidney beans, red pepper flakes and parsley; stir to combine. Cook 10-15 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to low. Add pasta; mix gently and allow soup to simmer, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.