1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 Tbsp / 15 mL Asian garlic chili sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp / 30 mL grated ginger root
2 Tbsp / 30 mL light soy sauce
1 Tbsp / 15 mL unseasoned rice vinegar
6 cups / 1.5 L sodium-reduced chicken stock
1 tsp / 5 mL Chinese five spice seasoning
½ cup / 125 mL matchstick carrots
1 cup / 250 mL thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
5 oz / 150 g rice vermicelli noodles, dry
½ cup / 125 mL bean sprouts
Thai basil sprigs for garnish
- In large saucepan, brown pork over medium-high heat, breaking up larger pieces with spatula until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Drain any remaining cooking liquid.
- Add chili sauce, whites of green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and Chinese five spice seasoning. Bring to boil.
- Add carrots and mushrooms. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice vermicelli noodles; simmer until noodles are tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Ladle into large bowl. Garnish with remaining green onion, bean sprouts and sprigs of Thai basil.