1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup / 50 mL fine dry breadcrumbs
¼ cup / 50 mL finely chopped green onions, divided
2 Tbsp / 30 mL grated carrot
1 tsp / 5 mL grated ginger root
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH salt and ground black pepper
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
1-14 oz / 395 mL can pineapple tidbits
½ cup / 125 mL orange juice
⅓ cup / 80 mL tomato ketchup
¼ cup / 50 mL EACH cider vinegar and maple syrup
1 Tbsp / 15 mL cornstarch
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
½ cup / 125 mL finely chopped yellow onion
2 tsp / 10 mL grated ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
For the pork:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with remaining ingredients; do not overmix.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Transfer meatballs to a baking dish. Coat with desired amount of sauce. Cover with foil, transfer to oven and bake for 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Garnish with remaining green onions.
For the sauce:
- Drain juice from canned pineapple into a bowl; reserve tidbits.
- Whisk in orange juice, ketchup, vinegar, maple syrup and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic; cook 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Blend in juice mixture and pineapple tidbits. Bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Tip: Meatballs can be served over rice with additional sauce or as an appetizer.