4 cups / 1 L vegetable broth
4 cups / 1 L water
2 small yellow onions, diced
4 ribs celery, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb / 500 g red lentils
2 cups / 500 mL diced cooked ham
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In slow cooker, combine broth, water, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, lentils, ham, thyme and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on LOW until lentils are tender and soup has thickened, 6-8 hours.
- Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Season soup with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley.