¼ cup / 50 mL all-purpose flour
1 tsp / 5 mL dried thyme leaves
½ tsp / 2mL ground allspice
¼ tsp / 1 mL cayenne pepper
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 1½ lb / 0.75 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
3 Tbsp / 45 mL canola oil, divided
2 cups / 500 mL chopped yellow onion
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp / 15 mL minced ginger root
2 cups / 500 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
1 cup / 250 mL water
2 Tbsp / 30 mL sodium-reduced soy sauce
1 Tbsp / 15 mL packed brown sugar
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1” / 2.5 cm cubes
1 cup / 250 mL frozen green peas
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In small bowl, combine flour, thyme, allspice and cayenne pepper. Coat pork cubes with flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes in batches. Brown on all sides, adding oil as required. Remove browned cubes to a clean plate.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Stir in chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot.
- Add soy sauce and brown sugar; stir to combine.
- Return pork cubes to pot. Stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes more, or until pork is fork tender.
- Add peas during last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Season stew with salt and pepper according to taste.