Small Scale Producers
Whether you have two pigs or two hundred, it is important to know the hog sector's requirements for animal care, traceability and processing. The following websites, developed by Canada's provincial pork organizations, can help small scale producers learn the basics of good animal care, swine nutrition, on-farm food safety measures and the provincial/federal regulations that all hog farmers must follow.
- BC Pork: Small Lot Pork Producers
- Alberta Pork: Small-Scale Production
- Sask Pork: Small Scale Pig Production
- Ontario Pork: Small Scale Pig Farming in Ontario
- Pork Nova Scotia: Intro to Small Scale Pig Production
Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development has developed the Animal Welfare Handbook for veterinarians and for producers. This resource, along with the others listed here, are good tools for prospective and current small-scale producers as they consider resources and costs required to be a successful and responsible caregiver to pigs.
In Manitoba, contact:
Manager of Quality Assurance & Animal Care Programs