Keep biosecurity top of mind during manure application
To help prepare for biosecure manure pumping, producers must provide their manure applicator with the following information:
- The current health status of your barn and lagoon (NOTE: update your manure applicator should your health status change prior to pump out)
- If your site has ever had PED and, if so, when and how many pump outs have occurred since the last PED infection
- The route the applicator should take to access the lagoon (NOTE: a separate access to the lagoon is the most biosecure)
Producers must ask where the manure applicator has been prior to coming to your site and what biosecurity protocols have been taken (washing, disinfecting, down time, pump out of another species, etc.). You must also:
- Manage lagoon agitation to reduce risk (e.g. refrain from agitating when the direction of the wind is towards your barn; use of a below-surface agitator is recommended)
- Tell your staff and others accessing the yard when the manure application will take place, so that they understand the risks and avoid cross traffic
- Lime all entrances into the barn shortly before application
Manitoba Pork has developed a fact sheet for producers focused on best practices for PEDv manure management. Best practices for PEDv manure management during planning, pump out and at the farm level were created to help minimize risks. They should act as guiding principles for producers and applicators. To view the fact sheet, click here.
Biosecure Manure Pumping Protocols for Pork Producers – National Pork Board (US):
Manure haulers should have a separate access way at the farm to access the manure storage area; they should not cross the same path as farm and delivery vehicles/workers. Farm personnel and equipment need to avoid any direct contact with manure hauling personnel and equipment.
Biosecure Manure Pumping Protocols for Manure Applicators – National Pork Board
Considerations for Manure Application – Ontario Pork
Washing of Manure Application Equipment Research – Ontario Pork:
Manure application equipment should be flushed, cleaned and disinfected as much as possible between applications. Applicators should try to avoid dragging/dropping manure on roadways and in yards.
Characteristics of Selected Disinfectants – CFSPH Iowa State University
Disinfectants Proven Effective against Coronaviruses – EQSP:
Disinfectants act to inactivate pathogens and can be extremely effective when applied to a visually clean surface. Different disinfectants have different effectiveness against different pathogens, depending on their type, concentration, and contact time. Only certain disinfectants are effective against coronaviruses, such as PEDv.
Disinfection in Freezing Temperatures – EQSP:
At temperatures below freezing, propylene glycol (PG) can be added to disinfectants to delay them from freezing and allow adequate contact time to kill pathogens. As much as 40% PG (by volume) must be used in the disinfectant solution to allow adequate contact time below -20°C.
Director, Swine Health