Manitoba Pork has developed a brochure outlining the threat of wild pigs, and what to watch for when it comes to tracking sightings. For more information on wild pigs, the Squeal on Pigs MB campaign, and tips for tracking their movements, click here.
There have been many sightings of wild pigs reported in Manitoba over the last decade, and we suspect the population is growing. Wild pigs are an invasive species that ruin wildlife habitat, put our native wildlife species at risk, damage cropland and pose a significant disease risk to farm-raised pigs. A total population estimate and accurate location information is not currently available.
To get a better understanding of the wild pig population in Manitoba, and to concentrate eradication efforts in the right areas, Manitoba Pork strongly encourages producers and the general public to report all sightings of wild pigs by visiting squealonpigsmb.org and completing the fillable form. Reports can also be made via telephone at 1-833-SPOT-PIG (1-833-776-8744).
When reporting, please include:
- Date and time of day the pigs were observed
- Contact information of the individual reporting the sighting. Individuals reporting sightings will only be contacted should further information or follow-up be required.
- Legal land description, geocoordinates, or other specific description of the location (a cell phone photo with location service turned on will automatically include the geocoordinates)
- Number and age class of pigs (i.e. number of adults and number of piglets, if applicable)
- Observed behaviour of the pigs (i.e. are they causing any habitat/property damage or displaying aggressive behaviour toward people or domestic animals)
Conventional hunting has been shown to increase wild pig populations by encouraging them to spread out and breed further. Manitoba Pork discourages the conventional hunting of wild pigs, opting instead for a collaborative and coordinated eradication approach. If you do harvest a wild pig, it is a legal requirement to report it to Squeal on Pigs by phone at 1-833-SPOT-PIG or by visiting squealonpigsmb.org.
Squeal on Pigs MB
Squeal on Pigs Manitoba was officially announced on February 16, 2022, under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership program. Squeal on Pigs Manitoba is jointly funded by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Manitoba Agriculture, and Manitoba Pork Council.
Manitoba Pork produced a program update to summarize 2022 activites of the Squeal on Pigs MB program. To view the full report, click here.
Director, Swine Health