Reports & Publications
You’ll find important and relevant information on a wide variety of aspects relating to the swine sector in the following reports and publications.
Embracing a Sustainable Future: Acting Locally, Thinking Globally: A copy of Manitoba Pork’s 2011 green plan with 82 commitments on improving Manitoba’s hog sustainability. Click here for a summarized version of the full report. Note that both of these documents are in the process of being updated.
Environmental Sustainability and Hog Production in Manitoba: (Manitoba Clean Environment Commission, 2007, 188 pages) A comprehensive report on the swine sector in Manitoba in 2006-07, which concluded that the sector was sustainable and made recommendations to government on improving the sector’s environmental sustainability.
The Dirt on Pigs and the Environment: A pamphlet on the environmental practices of Canadian hog producers. Note: a new publication on pig manure and the environment is pending.
Pig Tales: A pamphlet for kids on how pigs are raised in Manitoba.
Swine Production and Greenhouse Gases: A report from Quebec on greenhouse gases and hog production, as well as the successful efforts being made to reduce GHGs.
What to do and what not to do about phosphorus in Agro-Manitoba – the science: A copy of a report from S.C. Sheppard, noted soil scientist, de-bunking some of the myths about phosphorus and manure in Manitoba soils.
We are part of the solution: Click on the links below to view videos about the work we do to protect the environment. Click here to read the brochure.
- Regulating & modifying lagoons to protect our groundwater
- I am part of the solution – Tricia Schmalenberg
- I am part of the solution – Sheldon Stott
- Using GPS technology to protect our lakes and streams
- I am part of the solution – Scott Dick
- Using water samples from monitoring wells to protect Manitoba groundwater
- I am part of the solution – George Bilinsky
- Using injection method to ensure Manitoba’s farmlands receive the full benefit of organic fertilizer
- Manure matters
Note: A new publication on pigs and odour mitigation is being developed and will be posted on this webpage when it is complete.