Genetic Lead - Nucleus Unit - located near Oakville, MB
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Position Announcement: Genetic Lead - Nucleus Unit
Genesus Inc. (www.genesus.com) is a leading pig genetic company providing breeding stock, genetic services and support to enhance customer profitability. Genesus has operations in Canada, the United States and Europe serving North American and international customers.
To provide genetic program services at a Genesus genetic nucleus unit including liaison between Genesus program and farm personnel.
1. Coordinate genetic program services (e.g. data collection, tissue sampling, on-farm oversight of R&D projects).
2. Conduct live animal ultrasound scanning and image interpretation in accordance with approved protocols. Successfully maintain ultrasound accreditation as required by Genesus. Maintain ultrasound and computer equipment in satisfactory working order.
3. Develop a working knowledge for routine use and support for software used by Genesus (e.g. ultrasound software and on-farm software), as required.
4. Conduct on-farm data collection, including animal identification, weights, animal tissue/blood samples, animal selection and routine management procedures with adherence to protocols, as required.
5. Data entry, editing and transfer, maintain tissue sample inventory and records database, and transferring samples to external laboratories, as required.
6. Provide R&D project support for data collection, protocol implementation and interaction with Genesus and unit staff, as required.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Experience and Requirements:
1. Post-secondary degree/certificate or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
2. Experience in pork production, preferably in a genetic nucleus/multiplier/R&D setting.
3. Ability and willingness to work in a pig unit. Requires routine lifting of pigs weighing up to ~15kg, routinely operating a hand-held tagger on pigs weighing up to 5kg, plus handling, management and data collection on large animals up to ~300 kg.
4. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
5. Experience in operation of ultrasound equipment and software preferred but not required.
6. Experience with laptop computer use and software including Microsoft Office or equivalent.
7. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
8. Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
9. Possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Position Location: Near Oakville, Manitoba
Position Availability: Position available immediately. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Applications: Please submit via email a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest in this position, a curriculum vitae, and the names of three references, to:
Chad Bierman, PhD
Please note only those to be interviewed will be contacted. We appreciate the interests of all applicants.