Transition to PigSAFE | PigCARE
The Canadian Pork Council and Manitoba Pork have both recently passed motions to extend the implementation of the PigSAFE|PigCARE (PS|PC) programs until 2023. This means:
- All Manitoba farms that are still on CQA can remain on CQA for their 2020, 2021 and 2022 validations. You must still follow your Full-Partial-Partial cycle.
- Farms that wish to remain on the national programs after those validation years must do a Full PS|PC Validation for their 2023 validation.
- However, any farm has the right to join the PS|PC programs early by doing a Full PS|PC Validation before 2023. The first PS|PC Validation must be a full, on-site validation.
If you have any confusion about when your site is due to expire, please contact Mark Fynn, Manager of Quality Assurance & Animal Care Programs, at 204-235-2302.
Note: CQA/CPE validations during COVID-19
- Sites that were due for a Full Validation with a program expiry date on or before September 30, 2020 were automatically granted an extension to their expiry date.
- Those sites that are due for a Partial Validation (where no site visit is required) still have to abide by their normal annual expiry date. No extensions were granted for sites that are due for Partial Validations.
- Currently, the sites that are due for a Full Validation with an expiry date on or after October 1, 2020 should still plan for that date.
- For 2020, if you are due for a Full Validation and have concerns about your validator visiting your site because of COVID-19, Manitoba Pork can permit a special process for you to stay valid on the programs. However, you must contact us to arrange that before your site’s expiry date.
- If you have any uncertainty about your site’s status or expiry date, contact Mark Fynn, Manager of Quality Assurance & Animal Care Programs, at 204-235-2302.
About Canadian Pork Excellence (CPE)
In order to ensure that on-farm programs continue to reflect the remarkable work of producers and meet domestic and global consumer demand, Canadian pork producers and stakeholders have been updating the CQA and ACA programs, with the support of the Canadian Pork Council (CPC) and provincial pork organizations. Canadian Pork Excellence is the new national platform that covers three major components of on-farm programs. Click on the following links to find more information on the CPC website:
- PigSAFE Canada, the on-farm food safety assurance program
- PigCARE Canada, the on-farm animal care assurance program
- PigTRACE Canada, the national swine traceability system
Manager of Quality Assurance & Animal Care Programs